- Create simple rather than complicated sentences.
Simple sentences are easier to read.
- Use the active voice when possible, rather than the passive voice.
- Avoid the use of run-on sentences.
- Vary the length of sentences.
- Avoid exaggeration in your writing.
- Use well-known words rather than exotic or unusual words.
- Similarly, use short words rather than long words.
- Nouns and verbs are more important than adjectives and adverbs. Carefully selected nouns and verbs add clarity and color.
- Avoid the use of clichés.
- Capitalize only proper nouns.
- Minimize the use of exclamation and quotation marks.
- Do not abbreviate.
- Make verbs agree with their subjects.
- Do not begin sentences with conjunctions. Similarly, do not end them with prepositions.